53 | 0
Meet the Philippines’ 4th Miss Earth titleholder
Alexa Villano - Published 8:18 AM, November 05, 2017
EARTH AMBASSADOR. Karen Ibasco wins the Philippines' 4th crown in the Miss Earth competition. Photo by Alecs Ongcal/Rappler
MANILA, Philippines – Karen Ibasco was a dark horse during the Miss Philippines Earth 2017 pageant. But after winning the title in June, she went on to prove that she deserved to win Miss Earth 2017 with her eloquence and passion for the environment.
On Saturday, November 4, she made the country proud when she won the title of Miss Earth 2017, succeeding Katherine Espin of Ecuador. Aside from being a beauty queen, Karen is now a spokesperson for a number of issues that the Miss Earth is part of. (WATCH: Miss Philippines Earth 2017 Karen Ibasco's eco beauty video)
Get to know more this year's Miss Earth.
1. She is the 4th Miss Earth titleholder from the Philippines. Karen is the latest Filipina to join the ranks of Karla Henry (2008), Jamie Herrell (2014), and Angelia Ong (2015) as title holders of Miss Earth from the Philippines. The country now holds the most number of crowns from the pageant.
Karen during the swimsuit competition. Photo by Alecs Ongcal/Rappler
2. She is a physics major. Karen is a university instructor and graduated with a major in physics. In her Miss Philippines Earth 2017 profile, Karen talked about understanding the consumption of energy in everyday life.
"As a physicist, I understand the importance of daily consumption of energy, that is why my environmental advocacy is the conservation of energy and to embrace renewable and sustainable sources of energy in exchange for fossil fuel, which contributes to a huge percentage in global warming."
3. Karen previously joined Binibining Pilipinas. Before joining Miss Philippines Earth, Karen tried her luck in Bb Pilipinas 2016, the year when Maxine Medina and Kylie Verzosa went on to win the two top crowns – Miss Universe Philippines and Bb Pilipinas International.
Karen was also the 1st runner-up in the Ms. Shape PH competition in 2015.
4. She wants to try hosting. While some title holders are willing to give showbiz a try, Karen said she has no plans of joining for now.
"No, I don't have plans to do showbiz but I would want to enter the world of hosting," she told reporters after the coronation night.
Photo by Alecs Ongcal/Rappler
5. Wise social media user. Karen knows the importance of using social media for social good, and she plans to use it wisely, just what she said during her win as Miss Philippines Earth. (WATCH: Miss Philippines Earth 2017 Karen Ibasco's winning answers)
"To maximize and utilize social media, to really show the people in simple way, every single day, you can make a difference. I would want to post more about the environment and also be informed about environment lectures and going around the world about what's really happening, and to share to people my journey," she said.
Katherine Espin of Ecuador crowns Karen Ibasco as Miss Earth 2017. Photo by Alecs Ongcal/Rappler
Nenhum comentário postado para este post.